Mack Trucks has unveiled a heavy-duty version of its mDRIVE automated manual transmission, and will debut the mDRIVE HD as standard equipment on the Mack Granite.
The mDRIVE HD is designed and engineered to work exclusively with Mack MP7 and Mack MP8 engines. The 12-speed mDRIVE HD has an automated clutch, so no clutch pedal is required. Operation of the transmission is controlled through a dash-mounted shift pad by selecting drive, neutral or reverse. For more demanding jobsite maneuvers, the premium shift pad can be operated manually to hold a gear, downshift or upshift.
Available in overdrive and direct drive, the mDRIVE HD continuously monitors changes in grade (both up and down), vehicle speed, throttle position, acceleration, torque demand and gross vehicle weight. It automatically chooses the best gear for the road condition, allowing drivers to focus on the terrain rather than shifting gears, increasing safety on worksites.
Key features of the mDRIVE HD include:
• The mDRIVE HD is lightweight. Including transmission oil, the mDRIVE HD is up to 237 pounds lighter than other transmission offerings, enabling customers to haul even more payload.
• It features reinforced internal components. With stronger gears and synchros, themDRIVE HD is built to withstand more frequent shifting that is often needed in construction applications.
• The mDRIVE HD uses a transmission-mounted oil cooler. The mDRIVE HD’s oil cooler helps maintain an optimal operating temperature, despite repeated, heat-generating shifts common on a jobsite.
• Unique software packages, specific to the customer application, are available with the mDRIVE HD. The “Enhanced Construction” package provides optimal on/off-road capability and gives the driver full control over any terrain. “EZ Shift” delivers smoother shifts for sensitive payloads like livestock or bulk liquids.
• The mDRIVE HD offers a Rock Free feature. Should the vehicle become stuck, this feature allows the driver to rock the truck back and forth simply by pumping the accelerator.
• It features Grade Gripper. Working with the truck’s ABS system, Grade Gripper allows the vehicle to momentarily hold a hill, giving the driver time to move their foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal without rolling backward.
The mDRIVE HD will be available for order in March. For more information about the mDRIVE HD, ask your CIT Sales Representative.
CIT Group, Inc. is a full-line, commercial truck dealership group representing Kenworth Truck Company, Volvo Trucks North America, Mack Trucks, and Isuzu Commercial Trucks of America. Serving territories in Illinois, Missouri and Indiana, the dealerships offer the best in New and Used Truck Sales, an extensive Parts inventory, the finest in truck Service and maintenance, and state of the art Body repair. In addition, CIT offers in-house Rental, Leasing and Finance solutions to their customers. More information can be found at www.cittrucks.com